Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proot SSD voting methodsGR

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 02:58:33AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:36:23 -0500
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:14:19PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Perhaps we could have compulsory voting then :-|

> > Why would rendering us unable to block a vote for lack of quorum be a
> > *good* thing?  If I'm not voting, it's because I have no opinion on
> > the issue, or don't care enough about the outcome to send an email.
> > If the vast majority of developers feel the same way, why should they
> > be required to participate in a pointless vote?

> In Australia the act of casting your vote isnt compulsary, but turning
> up to a polling booth and getting your name marked off the roll is.

> I think the biggest reason for people not voting is laziness, which is
> not an acceptable excuse IMHO, people who make the effort to cast a vote
> will likely take some time to think about it first.

> For national elections i think its a good idea, but i dont know it would
> work with debian as there isnt any viable deterant.

> In debian elections if a person doesnt want their voice to be heard then
> they can vote "none of the above", a vote of disaproval for everyone is
> more meaningfull than a failure to meet quarum.

> We could try laying guilt trips on the slackers, send them an email
> expaining why voting is important.

"Laziness" is a slanderous synonym for "indifference".  Maybe I have
better things to do with my time than cast a ballot for the official
Debian birdsong.  Who are you to demand otherwise of me?

Enforced voting in order to ensure quorum is precisely an outcome I
*don't* want.  Lack of quorum indicates lack of interest in the issue,
and such a lack of interest should be given appropriate consideration.
Requiring uninterested parties to vote "all ones" for purposes of quorum
would give a victory to whichever of the insignificant[1] minority
groups has the largest turnout.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] Insignificant by definition because they can't actually reach quorum
on their own