Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proot SSD voting methodsGR

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:36:23 -0500
Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:14:19PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Perhaps we could have compulsory voting then :-|
>
> Why would rendering us unable to block a vote for lack of quorum be a
> *good* thing?  If I'm not voting, it's because I have no opinion on
> the issue, or don't care enough about the outcome to send an email.
> If the vast majority of developers feel the same way, why should they
> be required to participate in a pointless vote?

In Australia the act of casting your vote isnt compulsary, but turning
up to a polling booth and getting your name marked off the roll is.

I think the biggest reason for people not voting is laziness, which is
not an acceptable excuse IMHO, people who make the effort to cast a vote
will likely take some time to think about it first.

For national elections i think its a good idea, but i dont know it would
work with debian as there isnt any viable deterant.

In debian elections if a person doesnt want their voice to be heard then
they can vote "none of the above", a vote of disaproval for everyone is
more meaningfull than a failure to meet quarum.

We could try laying guilt trips on the slackers, send them an email
expaining why voting is important.

Glenn