Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 06:08:37PM -0500, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:

> I was not saying that FTP would become obsolete, I was saying that CDs will
> become obsolete.

debian-manifesto
----------------

It is also an attempt to create a non-commercial distribution that will
be able to effectively compete in the commercial market.  It will
eventually be distributed by The Free Software Foundation on CD-ROM,
and The Debian Linux Association will offer the distribution on floppy
disk and tape along with printed manuals, technical support and other
end-user essentials.  All of the above will be available at little more
than cost, and the excess will be put toward further development of
free software for all users.  Such distribution is essential to the
success of the Linux operating system in the commercial market, and it
must be done by organizations in a position to successfully advance and
advocate free software without the pressure of profits or returns.

   Note that a great many of the packages in non-free are also
anti-commercial.  These packages *won't* be distributed by commercial
distributors as that is specifically banned in their licenses. If you reply
that "That's not Debian's problem" I'll counter by saying it is very clearly
a problem for some members of Debian, else those packages would not exist.
   non-free was defined later for the specific technical purpose of creating
a CDROM that could be duplicated by commercial outfits without seeking
special license exemptions.

   And don't you just live the mention of distribution by floppy.  How many
would that be now?  :)  Tape.. how many Debian users have ever even used a
tape drive?  The manifesto hardly needs editting, it's an entertaining
historical document.  Too bad it hasn't aged as well as the early U.S.
political documents or the GNU documents.