Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 04:06:27PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> As an example of what falls in the category covered by section 5,
> which is not commercial: if we have some software that has a "you can
> have the source, and you can give away the source or binaries for free,
> but you can't distribute modified source without special permission"
> license -- especially if they've given Debian special permission --
> that would go in non-free.
>
> Also, for this context, section 1 basically says that we won't make
> anything in our distribution depend on stuff in non-free.  [Which means
> that stuff in contrib, which depends on stuff in non-free, should never
> be a part of our official distribution -- it shouldn't be on our official
> cdroms.]

What it says is "We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution
entirely free software". My contention is that the mirror network constitutes
a distribution system and therefore the materials it moves constitute the
"Debian GNU/Linux Distribution". The first article seems to represent an
axiomatic statement of our core mission and the fifth mainly a statement of
"support" to the commercial community. In truth, the specifics that the
fifth article go into regarding directories and methods of access really
don't make sense in a "Social Contract". The rest of the statements logically
belong in such a statement of purpose, the fifth should be boiled down to
a philosophical direction.

> Finally, if FTP really becomes obsolete, that doesn't contradict
> section 5.  However, FTP is no more obsolete than SMTP.  [It doesn't
> represent the majority of traffic on the internet, but people still use
> it for quite a lot.]

I was not saying that FTP would become obsolete, I was saying that CDs will
become obsolete.

Ean Schuessler                   An odorless programmer work-a-like
Brainfood, Inc.                               Silent and motionless
*** WARNING: This signature may contain jokes.