Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 05:33:40PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> Not at all true!  He was, IIRC, perfectly happy with the suggestion
> that non-free repositories be listed in source.list as long as they
> were commented out *by default* -- or even commented out only if
> someone responded "yes" to a question like, "would you like to see
> only truly free software".
>
> (He's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

I suggested the question, he wasn't keen on it.

> > If things happen as Richard would like, non-free will essentially become
> > available only to those who ask "is <something non-free> packaged?"
>
> Nope, see above.
>
> RMS is extreme enough without people needlessly exaggerating his
> positions.  I may not always agree with him, but he is generally both
> reasonable and consistent, within the limits of what he perceives that
> his morality will allow.

I generally agree to disagree with him much of the time.  It's pretty
obvious we both want the same things, but we're trying to get there
different ways.  I happen to like my way better, it doesn't piss off
quite as many people.  (waiting for some smartass on irc to ask something
like "wanna bet?"...)

* Culus thinks we should go to trade shows and see how many people we
  can kill by throwing debian cds at them