Re: difference in seconds between two formatted dates ...

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 01:12:35PM +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 12/20/23, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > How would this person's computer notice?
>
>  The only way I see is for the running computer on "exposed mode" to
> check via systemd if the time zone has been changed and reset it in
> that case before you use date for file naming for all data that is
> kept in a measured way.

<irony>Lucky me, I'm still on SysV init</irony>

You still don't know how this timezone stuff works, do you?

Time zone is a *user* concept, not a *system* concept. The system
only knows about UNIX time, which is very close to UTC (but not
equal).

The only thing which might change your time "from the outside" is
ntp, to synchronize your clock (including the occasional leap second).

>  In the case of the person flying from Paris to Boston he will find
> out that he flew away from continental Europe once he reboots his
> computer in "exposed mode" (pun intended). He will notified of the
> time zone he had used before and all such deltas will be kept. The
> only measured data that will be deleted is the one which remains the
> same.

This is not how it works.

Cheers