Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes every booting time

gene heskett wrote:
> I load up a file I want to 3d print in cura, slice it into gcode, click
> on save to disk. kde gets in the way so it opens a tab on the toolbar at
> the bottom of the screen and to continue I have to click on that tab.
> 20% of the time the where do you want to save it requester pops up
> instantly but 80% of the time the whole workspace freezes for 2 minutes.
> Eventually the save requester pops up and life goes on at normal speeds
> I have the thought that both occurrences are different exhibits of the
> same access problem. But thats just a WAG. The commonality is both apps
> are AppImages, and my /home is a raid.  Is there a connection? w/o logs,
> how can I tell.  There are no "user" logs.

  as i may have said before.  whatever you have going on
with file saving and file system access may be getting
stomped all over by whatever settings you have in the KDE
desktop or the particular application.  so one thing i
would do for sure is make sure that the KDE desktop file
extension associations that may be turned on to do anything
automatically are turned off (until you resolve where the
issue actually resides).

  once you have the KDE desktop stuff turned off then you
can at least know it isn't that which is mucking you up.

  from there is it some other thing?  well, if it now
works then you've solved it, and if it hasn't been solved
then you've at least eliminated one variable.

  from there if it still does not work then you are up
against any automatic automounter crap (which i find a
PITA so i remove it or find ways to turn it off which
then gets through another layer of possible variables).

  after that you should be down to the applcation and
what settings it has for dealing with file and accesses
and again i turn off all automatic stuff i can there to
make sure exactly what i'm trying to do can get done with
minimal interference.

  since you have network stuff going on which i hardly
ever do and i also don't do bluethooth, samba, ssh, rpc
(or plenty of other things) well then you're going to
have to wade through those things and see what each may
let you do to narrow down where the issue is at.

  when you have a complicated system it may be well
worth it to set up a blank slate new machine and put in
each layer and test it before adding the next to see
which step is going kerblooey.  if i'm running a
production system this is a natural and common
procedure for any upgrade and debugging.  gotta have a
way to do tests that doesn't shut down production.

  songbird