Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes every booting time

On 8/6/23 12:09, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 07:37:35PM +0800, Jon Smart wrote:
Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
The file /etc.resolv.conf is just a soft link.

You need to:

1: Delete /etc/resolv.conf - rm /etc/resolv.conf
2: Create a new /etc/resolv.conf file: touch /etc/resolv.conf
3: Configure you nameservers
4: Make the file immutable: chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

These 4 steps do work great!
Thanks a lot.

And so another one fails to spend the time to work out how their
operating system works for trivial minutiae like "how my network
gets set up", leaving a nice rake in the grass for some point in the
future when they are trying to debug something else. 🙁

And we wonder why this list ends up dealing with the aftermath of
the Gene school of "don't understand it? Hit it with chattr +i / rm
/ apt-get purge!" so often.

Regards,
Andy

Sorry you are so offended by a hosts file user Andy, but when the guys decide to do networking differently, usually in the badly mistaken idea that everybody runs a dhcpd server even for their isolated local network, and don't check that their brainless changes don't screw up a host file based local network, or worse, don't care if it does, then you should expect that we WILL do what WE KNOW JUST WORKS. Blaming me in that case is just plain poor form. If there indeed IS a better way to deal with this in a hosts file system, then teach us /how/ WITHOUT ASSUMING we'll just run a dhcpd server with all the configuration sand maintenance bs that entails. Tain't gonna happen.

We hide our local stuff behind something like dd-wrt and its ilk for a reason. As a guard dog, its an 800 lb pit bull with a very bad attitude.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis