Re: /etc/resolv.conf changes every booting time

On 8/7/23 18:43, Brian wrote:
On Mon 07 Aug 2023 at 17:53:41 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 8/7/23 14:57, Brian wrote:
On Sun 06 Aug 2023 at 20:50:26 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

Sorry you are so offended by a hosts file user Andy, but when the guys

Did someone mention a hosts file? Is this an attempt to move discussion on
to a different toic? I thought 'chattr -i' and the wisdom of using it was
under discussion.

Its all related to networking.

A pathetic response.
My experience is that 'chattr -i' cripples the ability of my laptop to roam
on other networks.

I do not own a lappy.  The last one I had, an hp I paid about $1500 for, was
so poorly supported that when I went out someplace as a consulting engineer,
had to borrow a modem from the motel just to talk to their wifi about 50% of
the time. The rest of the time the wifi needed a reboot. Even windows xp
could not make the broadcom radio in it work. Its battery was as problematic
as the windows it came with, and when it died I tossed it. My expertise as a
broadcast consultant went out of date when the US went digital in mid-2008.
Now I just keep our local Ma and Pa daytimer on the air. I also don't have a
hell phone.

Even more pathetic. Taking one word (laptop) and making it central is typical
of your style of response. All me, me, me.

I don't recall being the 1st user of the word "laptop", what I am trying to prove is that linux is not windows, its far more versatile if you'll let it be, and that different people have different environments, I've been made to understand that resolv.conf is now not the place to put search order, that has now been moved to nssconfig.

There was once a stanza at the end of dhcpd.conf where one could setup his network by filling in the blanks and removing the # comments. If all else failed, that worked, But that was too easy so it was removed. And I'm back to hunting for the reason I can ping yahoo.com but not other machines on my local net, that are fully identified in my hosts file or vice versa. I've had it both ways in the last 3 major releases.

Consistency Brian, is what works best over the long haul for those to whom a computer is a tool to get a job done, not a plaything, and there does not seem to be any consistency.

Take care & stay well Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis