Re: Need some advice please.

On 5/4/23 18:37, zithro wrote:

The easiest and fastest way to backup is on DVD/USB/external drive, so that you can restore offline.
If on USB/external drive, preferably format the drive so it can be read on multiple OS. So prefer FAT32/exFAT, and avoid ext4, ZFS, NTFS, APFS, etc.

I do not want to further confuse this thread, but feel I must point out the fact that when a file is copied from one file system to a different file system (backup), the metadata may be translated. When the file is copied back (restore), the metadata may be translated again. The full-circle backup/restore results may not be identical.

If the file is a some kind of archive (e.g. tar(1)), both the data and metadata are inside the tarball and the full-circle results should be identical.

David