Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?

hw (12022-11-08):
> When I want to have 2 (or more) generations of backups, do I actually want
> deduplication?  It leaves me with only one actual copy of the data which seems
> to defeat the idea of having multiple generations of backups at least to some
> extent.

The idea of having multiple generations of backups is not to have the
data physically present in multiple places, this is the role of RAID.

The idea if having multiple generations of backups is that if you
accidentally overwrite half your almost-completed novel with lines of
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY and the backup tool runs
before you notice it, you still have the precious data in the previous
generation.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George