Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?

Le 07/11/2022 à 10:30, hw a écrit :

Hello,

Disclaimer: I am really almqst ignorant about deduplication

On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 09:14 +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 3:04 AM hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:
[...]
You could always buy Red Hat Enterprise Linux license, sign up for a
support contract, and ask if they could start supporting other operating
systems? ("Each branch on this project is intended to work with a specific
release of Enterprise Linux").

Huh?  What would that accomplish?

I think that what Anders tries to underline is that each VDO release is specific to Redhat, and further, is specific to a particular Redhat release. By definition that would complicate potential VDO integration in Debian.

[...]
Are you saying that deduplication is not
possible with Debian?

I may be mistaken, but I think there is a confusion here about a deduplication at filesystem level and at backup tool level.

At (linux) filesystem level, I think in-line deduplication is only provided by ZFS (and perhaps, out-of-tree, BTRFS)

I do not know precisely your usecase, but if it is to prevent duplication during backup, just use a deduplicating backup tool, it just do that: avoid duplicating backup objects before it could occur. searching for deduplicating software packaged in Debian ('apt search dedup' in a terminal) and sorting backup ones would give you clues.