Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?

Le 09/11/2022 à 13:12, hw a écrit :
On Wed, 2022-11-09 at 11:37 +0100, didier gaumet wrote:
[...]
in my opinion you are confusing
deduplicating during backup and incremental/differential backups.
[...]
I don't know why you think that.[...]

Because earlier in a previous message you stated:
"When I want to have 2 (or more) generations of backups, do I actually want deduplication? It leaves me with only one actual copy of the data which seems to defeat the idea of having multiple generations of backups at least to some extent."

To me you are considering that this is a deduplication that is leaving only one backup object from multiple objects across time (the multiple variations of a single object). And I do not agree: if you do a two full (not differential nor incremental) backups with a deduplicating backup tool you will obtain 2 backup objects from one source object having two different states of evolution.

So I think that you are using the word "deduplication" but are really talking about incremental or differential backup features. But I am perhaps nitpicking here and that is probably not important in your context :-)