Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 3:04 AM hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:
Hi,

I discovered that Redhat has VDO[1] to take care of deduplicating file systems.
Aptitude didn't find any packages towards that.

Is there no VDO in Debian, and what would be good to use for deduplication with
Debian?  Why isn't VDO in the stardard kernel? Or is it?

I'm not looking for deduplication that happens some time after files have
already been written like btrfs would allow: There is no point in deduplicating
backups after they're done because I don't need to save disk space for them when
I can fit them in the first place.

[1]:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/deduplicating_and_compressing_storage/deploying-vdo_deduplicating-and-compressing-storage#doc-wrapper

You could always buy Red Hat Enterprise Linux license, sign up for a support contract, and ask if they could start supporting other operating systems? ("Each branch on this project is intended to work with a specific release of Enterprise Linux").

I would be more worried if my backup storage didn't have enough room for at least a full fresh and unique backup from one client.
 - If it doesn't and something unexpected happens (user fills the whole disk with something, malware encrypts all data = "" everything to unique files, etc) then it will fill up the disk and ruin every other backup.
 - If you *do* have room for one client but not many more, you can always deduplicate after each client backup which should regain everything if nothing changed.