ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?)

Am 09.11.2022 um 09:24 schrieb hw:
>> Learn more about ZFS and invest in hardware to get performance.
> Hardware like?  In theory, using SSDs for cache with ZFS should improve
> performance.  In practise, it only wore out the SSDs after a while, and now it's
> not any faster without SSD cache.

metoo had that unpleasant experience of a worn out SSD that had been
used as a ZFS cache and zil device. After that, my next comp got huge
amounts of ECC-RAM, freeing up the SSD for the OS and stuff. Also i did
change the geometry of the main pool to a collection of mirrors (much
faster than raid) and left the raid only on the slower backup server.
Due to snapshots and increments, i am now backing up only once in 2
weeks, which takes somewhat around 1 hour bcoz of a slow connection. But
i am satisfied with zfs performance from spinning rust, if i dont fill
up the pool too much, and defrag after a while ... ;-)