Bluetooth sound problems

My laptop (Thinkpad Yoga11e first gen) on Debian Sid is showing for last few months diverse and variable sound problems.l, particularly with using Bluetooth speakers, but also with Airplay.

Current system uses pulse audio and pipe wire. I do not fully understand the connection between the two.

After removing cruft accumulated I have narrowed the Bluetooth problem down to the speakers being recognised and paired cleanly , recognised as speakers, specifically , but then either not appearing in the speaker list in gnome’s audio settings or, when intermittently appearing after all either silent or stuttering sound.

Looking at journalctl i do get various errors around Bluetoothd (refused permissions), pipewire (refused permissions) and again it is not entirely clear to me what is cruft and what is relevant.

I looked also in /etc/apparmor.d for any profiles I could associate with sound but found nothing and I looked at my own group membership which does include audio.

I am more than happy to send any and all journal entries, and configure files, but I am far from sure where to even start.

Thanks for any hints!

Peter

Sent from my phone. Please forgive misspellings and weird “corrections”