Re: support for ancient peripherals

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 17:44:58 +0000
"Kleene, Steven (kleenesj)" <kleenesj@UCMAIL.UC.EDU> wrote:

> Here's a more remedial question.  I haven't bought a desktop in 16
> years.  To have a custom desktop built with some of the options I've
> seen recommended here, where would you go?  Would you patronize a
> local shop, or is there an online store that is good at discussing
> and implementing customizations?  I am not an expert when it comes to
> hardware.

I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy. I built a few PCs back in the
90s and early 2000s, but things have changed a lot. I recently decided
to build my own box without any advice. I used https://pcpartpicker.com/
to good effect. It tends to know what parts go together, and they show
you who has the best price on parts you select, often Amazon. To save
money, I'd go with older parts, like 9th or 10th generation Intel CPUs,
DDR4 or DDR5 memory, etc. If you go Intel, don't use the coolers their
CPUs come with. They're crap, IMO. It gets tricky when you have to
select a motherboard, since each manufacturer has a range, and they're
specialized for different use cases. The other advantage of older
generation hardware is that it's more likely to work with Linux. Unless
you're doing intense gaming or video rendering, you won't notice a
performance difference. Also, building it yourself will save you $300
to $1000. I've found local PC builders don't do Linux machines. And the
ones you can get from online builders are expensive. Also, beware of
older, used machines you can get on E-Bay. HP, Dell and Lenovo like to
use custom parts which are hard to replace. My last Lenovo ThinkCenter
M800 had a power supply in it whose motherboard power connector was
non-standard (meaning the motherboard power connector was non-standard
as well).

Anyway...

Paul

--