Re: "usermod: user user is currently used by process" while using (trying to) thunderbird to back up my gmail account's data ...

On 11/6/22, Frank <zuiderduin@gmx.com> wrote:
> If all you want to do is make thunderbird put (most of) its data
> elsewhere, you could change the profiles.ini file that exists in
> ~/.thunderbird. Mine has this:
> Except for the few files/directories that need to be in ~/.thunderbird,
> all thunderbird data ends up in /data/thunderbird.

 I am the kind of guy who would joyfully thank anyone calling me "paranoid" ;-)
 To me the idea of an exposed secured computer which at the same time
is supposed to be maintainable is an odd joke.
 debian has apt-clone, but there are ad-hoc, case-by-case issues and
lose ends when it comes to exactly replicating a software base which
apt-clone doesn’t address.
 "The best of all possible worlds" to me would be:
 1) using a live system such a debian live to expose my computer (they
can’t mess with physical reality)
 2) using apt-clone to sync the sw base to my actual computer (from
which I removed any wired and wireless hardware components)
 3) accordingly taking care of moving forth and back the corresponding
directory branches of the individual files some applications keep to
themselves
 In that way you would never risk exposing your work computers to the Internet.
 lbrtchx