Re: support for ancient peripherals

Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) [2022-11-05 23:21:38] wrote:
> My concern is about support for three ancient peripherals that I like better
> than the modern equivalents:
> 1. A Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard (from 2006) with a 5-pin DIN cable,
> currently going via an adapter to a PS/2 port in the desktop;

AFAIK any old PS2 to USB adapter should do the trick.  They used to work
very reliably, so I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work any more.

> 2. A Logitech M-MD15L three-button roller-ball serial mouse (from 2006); and

You can find serial to USB adapters, but it will require some manual
configuration, tho I suspect you already had to do that in Buster, so it
should keep working pretty much the same (except the serial device will
have a different name in `/dev/).

> 3. An HP LaserJet 5MP printer from 1995 with a parallel-port connector.

No idea about this one.  I know there are USB<->centronics adapters out
there, but I have no idea how well they will work with something like
a CUPS driver.

        Stefan