Re: support for ancient peripherals

On November 5, 2022 7:21 PM, I wrote:

>> As you might understand, I'd like to replace my desktop, a 2006 Pentium 4
>> with a 3-GHz processor.  It has always run Debian, and so will the new one.
>>
>> My concern is about support for three ancient peripherals that I like better
>> than the modern equivalents:

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.  It sounds as if, one way or
another, I will be able to accommodate these devices.

>> 2. A Logitech M-MD15L three-button roller-ball serial mouse (from 2006) ...

On November 6, 2022 1:39 AM, Steve Litt replied:

> I understand your wanting to keep the keyboard and printer, but today
> you can buy a much more effective mouse for $18-$30. If you can get a
> BlueTrace mouse, I've found those to be spectacular. Check this out:
>   https://us.targus.com/products/wireless-blue-trace-mouse-amw50us
>   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-Wireless-BlueTrace-Mouse-AMW50US/14262061

For me a scroll wheel has always been a deal-breaker, and I recently couldn't
find any mice without that.  (A few years ago I found just one, from HP, and
I didn't like using it.)  I click with the center button a lot, and (maybe at
my skill level) a scroll button often causes jitter in the display.  I wonder
if it's possible to turn off the scrolling function of the scroll wheel while
still allowing clicks to be detected.  I understand that roller-balls aren't
forever.

Here's a more remedial question.  I haven't bought a desktop in 16 years.  To
have a custom desktop built with some of the options I've seen recommended
here, where would you go?  Would you patronize a local shop, or is there an
online store that is good at discussing and implementing customizations?  I
am not an expert when it comes to hardware.

Thanks again.