Re: Installing on Rock Pi 4

Stefan Monnier (12022-07-19):
> I think the issue is that "Debian support" is distinct from "Debian
> installer support".  So you may need to use some other means to install
> Debian than the official Debian installer.

The Debian *installer* has:

- an announce that this device is now supported:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2021/04/msg00011.html

- files in the official repository labeled specifically for this device:

https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.rock-pi-4-rk3399.img.gz

I can be wrong, but I think it means the installer is supposed to
officially support it. Alas, the procedure described just along with the
images:

https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images

… just does not work.

> Personally I can't remember the last time I used the Debian installer to
> install Debian.  Instead I usually rely on things like `debootstrap`
> (and for little boxes like the Rock Pi, I usually rely on third party
> tools to install a boot loader and then configure the boot loader by
> hand to load Debian's own kernel and initramfs (and occasionally compile
> my own kernel by hand when the hardware is not supported well-enough by
> the vanilla kernel)).

It is my habit too, for architectures that I know well enough. But the
boot process here is so rough, with no diagnostics, that I would have
appreciated to have something well ironed for once.

Thanks.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George