Re: Installing on Rock Pi 4

Christian Britz (12022-07-19):
> If this device really can boot the Debian installer, at least it's boot
> system is fundamentally different to an out of the box Raspberry Pi.

IIRC, no two ARM systems have the same boot system.

The RC1 announcement of Debian installer says this system is supported.
Debian provides images specifically for this system:
https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/

So it is at least supposed to work.

Why would Debian provide images that do not work?

Note that there are in this directory no images for the plain RPi.

> As far as I know, it is only possible to use the Debian installer if you
> modify the Raspberry to provide it an EFI system.

Not here, the images that succeed to boot do not have EFI boot, even
though they look like it.

It is actually a follow-up I was about to make to my mail: if I compare
the official Debian images with the vendor-provided images that boot, I
notice they both have something that looks like U-Boot, with exactly the
same first octets, after the boot sector.

But they differ in that the image that boots uses GPT, and the /boot
that contains the kernel and extlinux.conf is a separate VFAT partition
declared as EFI system. (But I insist, it does not hold anything
EFI-compatible.)

I should probably try to modify the Debian image to use GPT and have a
separate boot partition like that.

> The common way to install Debian on a Raspberry Pi is using one of the
> images provided at raspi.debian.net. Once you got it installed, it is a
> Debian system like others using the standard repositories.

IIRC, debian.net is third-party. Since Debian says it supports this
hardware, I would really like to avoid using third-party files.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George