Re: Installer BoF video link - [WAS Re: Installing on Rock Pi 4]

Andrew M.A. Cater (12022-07-20):
> > > I think it is usual practice for this kind of video to become
> > > available for viewing
> > > on demand in the near future.
> > >
> > > My recollection of the discussion is that Gunnar's work is welcomed
> > > by the installer team. And it is hoped and expected by all parties to move
> > > towards becoming official as a next step with the passage of time.
> > > However this move is not an immediate priority, as there are other
> > > changes under discussion regarding the installer, that are currently
> > > considered to be more important.

> The installer BoF is now in the Debconf video archives at https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2022/DebConf22/debconf22-294-debian-installer-and-images-team-bof.webm and on PeerTube and YouTube.
>
> Disclaimer: I helped with raising many of the issues there but Gunnar and his
>  awesome work are not in issue :)

Thanks.

I do not have the time to watch it in whole right now, but I could skip
over parts that were obviously about something else, and I spotted
Raspberry Pi images mentioned twice, around 21' and 41', to say that
they were still unofficial.

This is different from my issue, since, unless I am reading things
wrong, the Rock Pi 4 device is officially supported, see:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2021/04/msg00011.html

# The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first
# release candidate of the installer for Debian 11 "Bullseye".
# […]
# Hardware support changes
# ========================
# […]
#     - Add support for ROCK Pi 4 (A,B,C).

And:

https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/

# [ ]	firmware.rock-pi-4-rk3399.img.gz	2022-07-05 15:57 	496K

My issue is that the procedure described there:

https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images

… just does not work.

On the other hand, I was quite interested by the talk about OEM images,
around 43': images that we copy to the boot medium like live images but
that will ask the questions and configure themselves permanently at
first boot. I think it would be very useful for my other uses.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George