Re: Installing on Rock Pi 4

Am 19.07.22 um 17:16 schrieb Nicolas George:
> Christian Britz (12022-07-19):
>> If this device really can boot the Debian installer, at least it's boot
>> system is fundamentally different to an out of the box Raspberry Pi.
>
> IIRC, no two ARM systems have the same boot system.
>
> The RC1 announcement of Debian installer says this system is supported.
> Debian provides images specifically for this system:
> https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/

I do not doubt that. I just wanted to point out that at least the boot
system is not so similar. You called your device "similar to and mostly
compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4". At least for the installation
process that is not true.

> So it is at least supposed to work.

Yes.

> Why would Debian provide images that do not work?

Would not make sense.

> Note that there are in this directory no images for the plain RPi.

I know.

>> As far as I know, it is only possible to use the Debian installer if you
>> modify the Raspberry to provide it an EFI system.
>
> Not here, the images that succeed to boot do not have EFI boot, even
> though they look like it.

My comment was specific to the Raspberry Pi.

>> The common way to install Debian on a Raspberry Pi is using one of the
>> images provided at raspi.debian.net. Once you got it installed, it is a
>> Debian system like others using the standard repositories.
>
> IIRC, debian.net is third-party. Since Debian says it supports this
> hardware, I would really like to avoid using third-party files.

I would call it semi-official. Gunnar Wolf is a respected Debian
developer and the debian.net domain is a property of the project. I
would prefer an official-official installer though.

Anyway, raspi.debian.net is intended solely for original Raspberry Pi
devices. I doubt that the images would work with your device.

--
http://www.cb-fraggle.de