Re: Problem with csh

Deleted ~/.csh. Problem solved.

On 07/02/2022 05:23 PM, Will Mengarini wrote:
On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 01:18:08PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
comp@AbNormal:~$ csh Bad : modifier in $ '/'.
On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 03:31:12PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
Quick Google search shows it is an issue with the syntax of defining environment variables: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40968061/bad-modifier-in
* Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> [22-07/02=Sa 15:41 -0400]:
That still requires some command to have been executed. Since Stephen didn't even run a command yet, that means he has to have created a bogus dot file (e.g. ~/.cshrc) containing the invalid csh command.
There could be an error in a system-wide init file. He says this is a fresh Bullseye, but not that he's the sysadmin who set it up, and he's in an academic environment. On a Manjaro system that I don't administer I saw the line set -r autologout 86400 which should be set -r autologout = 86400 and after the sysadmin fixed it, a Manjaro update broke it again. Because csh gets little use nowadays, it's possible there's something wrong in Debian's init files too (not the set -r error though, because that gives a different error message), though I assume that whatever is wrong would need to be on a code path not followed for most testing. That seems plausible, since the behavior of startup files could depend on hardware configuration.

-- Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Molecular Modeling 614.312.7528 (c) Skype: smolnar1