Re: Upgrade issue with Debian 9 -> 10

On 7/3/22 1:17 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

Ctrl-Alt-F2 brings tty2 from where I can log in, then sudo etc. df -h shows
that filesystem /dev/mapper/localhost-root (mounted on /) is 99% used, and
/dev/mapper/localhost-usr (mounted on /usr) is 100% used.

Apt tends to store files in /var - it's possible that /var is also full.

Possibly. /var was always around 49-50% used here, but I knew from some earlier upgrade that it might be too small to store new packages for upgrading to buster. And because of that I added a thumb drive as a temporary /var/archives, and it served the purpose.

If you repeat an apt-get update - do you have errors about needing
to rerun a configure step?

Haven't tried that, but something else already helped: While it was idling with fsck in tty1, I went to tty2 and entered: apt --fix-broken install ... and it did/resumed full upgrade. (Interestingly, this time it did not complain about no space in / and /usr.) When it finished, I tested startx and it brought GUI. Not sure now but I think that I then rebooted and it went it into GUI as expected. So far - so good. Few red [FAILED] warnings during CLI phase related to not starting UFV, Shorewall, and minissdpd services, so I need to check for that.

A subsequent apt --fix-broken install (or some other command) only complained about some initrd issue with kernel image 4.19.0-20-686 so I removed that image and stayed with 4.9.0-19-686.

After that, apt autoremove freed some 500MB of old stretch packages so now / is about 97% used, while /usr is still 100% used.

In thi situation, I might be tempted to save off any data in /home and any
options in /etc/ to configure mail and things like that and
do a reinstall with Debian 11 as a quick fix but that's a destructive
option.

Will see whether it will work without such a destructive option :-)
In fact, that laptop started running Linux as squeeze some ten years ago, and I gradually upgraded it to wheezy, jessie, ... It makes me wonder if I gave it few more years of life with buster, after stretch went EOL yesterday.

When you installed, did you manually specify sizes for filesystems or
did you say "install in one encrypted LVM"?

I cannot remember because I made it with squeeze somewhere in 2013 or so. What I do recall is that at some upgrade point I had similar space issues, when resize2fs and/or lvextend solved the problem within the existing LVM. (I had 'borrowed' some space where I had a surplus, and added where needed. Probably I will need to learn it again.)

If you did that then, effectively, /home and so on are auto-sized and LVM
is keeping track of free space. Deleting unwanted files is the only way
to reclaim space and then, perhaps resize.

Well, for sure I missed to uninstall some software that I rarely used in stretch, and if I did so I might have not got into trouble. Now will take more care with buster.

Good luck with it all - with every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater

Thanks.

Misko