Re: Problem with csh

On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 03:31:12PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On 2022-07-02 14:24, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 01:18:08PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > > I have one application that I compile which requires the csh shell.
> >

> > > comp@AbNormal:~$ csh
> > > Bad : modifier in $ '/'.
> > > AbNormal:~%
> > >
> > > I've never seen this before but the compilation process still worked.
> > >
> > > What's going on?
> >
> > Ask your academia comrades.  Nobody outside of academia will know,
> > because
> > nobody else still uses csh.  For anything.  It's just bad.
>
> Quick Google search shows it is an issue with the syntax of defining
> environment variables:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40968061/bad-modifier-in

That still requires some command to have been executed.  Since Stephen
didn't even run a command yet, that means he has to have created a
bogus dot file (e.g. ~/.cshrc) containing the invalid csh command.

One may wonder why the fact that "oh by the way I created a .cshrc file
first, *then* ran csh, and here's what's in that file" was not shown,
but I've learned not to expect any approximation of common sense.