Re: Problem with csh

On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 01:18:08PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have one application that I compile which requires the csh shell.

What does that even *mean*?

If one of the *scripts* that you *execute* during the build uses csh,
well, OK.  I would write off that particular application as "likely to
be broken", but IIRC you do a lot of "academia" stuff, and academia
clung to csh long after it had already begun to smell funny.

But having a *script* that needs csh does not mean you need to run csh
as your *interactive* shell.  That's totally different.

> comp@AbNormal:~$ csh
> Bad : modifier in $ '/'.
> AbNormal:~%
>
> I've never seen this before but the compilation process still worked.
>
> What's going on?

Ask your academia comrades.  Nobody outside of academia will know, because
nobody else still uses csh.  For anything.  It's just bad.