Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

On Mon 16 May 2022 at 07:12:35 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 10:40:01PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> >   … both provide the same program, ●which are allegedly identical
> >   at the commandline but implemented completely differently,● so you …
>
> I don't think that's correct.  They have the same *name*, but they
> have entirely different invocations, means of operation, configuration,
> and so on.  Neither one is a drop-in replacement for the other.  That's
> part of what makes the whole situation so egregious.

That's what I meant by "implemented completely differently",
but perhaps that wasn't a strong enough statement.

The claim is made in openresolv's man 8 resolvconf:

  "This implementation of resolvconf is called openresolv and
   is fully command line compatible with Debian's resolvconf,
   as written by Thomas Hood."

It looks about the same at the basic level of pkg resolvconf's
-a -d and -u, but the --… enabling options are presumably handled
by openresolv's configuraion file rather than at the command line.

So I think the claim that's being made is true for client programs
that shovel nameserver lines into its stdin, but not really for
the sysadmin setting it up.

> And it turns out there's a potential third one, too -- systemd's
> resolvctl has special behavior if invoked by a symlink named resolvconf.
> Fortunately for us, no such symlink exists by default, so all that's
> present is a confusing man page.

Yes, the complexity of systemd-resolved probably deserves a wiki page
of its own. With its four ways of handling /etc/resolv.conf, it's
sometimes difficult when reading systemd-resolved documentation
to know which mode is being talked about. And with systemd installed,
you can't get rid of it, only mask/disable it.

> > And would it be correct to add:
> >
> >   If resolvconf is installed ●and you're using ifupdown●,
> >   you can [add] dns-nameserver entries in the appropriate
> >   stanza(s) in /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> That one's pretty good.  I added something similar to the page.

Cheers,
David.