Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 11:53:23AM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 5/13/22 09:02, Richmond wrote:
> > stat /etc/resolv.conf shows that the file has been updated but its
> > content doesn't change.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf did not change after running Network Manager; it changed
> after rebooting.  (Is the former a bug or a feature?)

Typically, if your system is running a DHCP client daemon to manage
the addresses on any or all of your physical interfaces, the DHCP client
daemon will rewrite the /etc/resolv.conf file whenever it feels like it.
This could be each time the lease is renewed, or each time any piece of
information received from the DHCP server has changed since the previous
response, or... anything.

If you're fighting against your networking tools to maintain correct
content in your /etc/resolv.conf file, I suggest starting with
<https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf> which has details on some of
the choices available to you.