Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

On Fri 13 May 2022 at 20:49:27 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 05:27:30PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > If my BEST EFFORTS fall that far short, then whatever.  Maybe instead
> > of berating the wiki and the hard-working editors who TRIED OUR DAMNED
> > BEST to figure this shit out and document it for the world, you could,
> > like, help out?  Make it better?
> >
> > *snort*  Yeah.  Right.
>
> As expected, I have to do it all myself.

You know, I really can't compete on this timescale. After I saw your
ivy plant (always left till last thing in the day), bagged and trashed
it, cleaned up, showered, and cooked and ate dinner. (And consequently
I missed the entire Sky paper review.)

That presupposes that I was competent to write what you have.

> Is it better now?  Or are there still MORE things that should be obvious
> and straightforward but are in fact traps set by the Debian developers
> to make the lives of their users more difficult?
>
> You know what I'm talking about, right?  What, you don't?  Here is a
> quote from the resolvconf.conf(5) man page:
>

>   NAME
>
>   resolvconf.conf — resolvconf configuration file
>
>   DESCRIPTION
>
>   resolvconf.conf is the configuration file for resolvconf(8).
>

> I defy anybody to read this and figure out that it really means "it's
> the openresolv configuration file, used by the resolvconf(8) program
> which is provided by the openresolv package, but NOT by the resolvconf(8)
> program which is provided by the resolvconf package".

Agreed. And you do have to be letter-perfect:

$ man resolv<TAB><TAB>
resolv.conf      resolvconf.conf  resolved.conf    resolver
resolvconf       resolvectl       resolved.conf.d

… and know your digits (man resolvconf  gives you  man 1 resolvectl;
for  man resolvconf, you need  man 8 resolvconf).

Here's some more confusion fodder (from man resolvconf^H^H^H^Hctl):

RESOLVECTL(1)                     resolvectl                     RESOLVECTL(1)

NAME
       resolvectl, resolvconf - Resolve domain names, IPV4 and IPv6 addresses,
       DNS resource records, and services; introspect and reconfigure the DNS
       resolver

[ … ]

COMPATIBILITY WITH RESOLVCONF(8)
       resolvectl is a multi-call binary. When invoked as "resolvconf"
       (generally achieved by means of a symbolic link of this name to the
       resolvectl binary) it is run in a limited resolvconf(8) compatibility
       mode. It accepts mostly the same arguments and pushes all data into
       systemd-resolved.service(8), similar to how dns and domain commands
       operate. Note that systemd-resolved.service is the only supported
       backend, which is different from other implementations of this command.

Cheers,
David.