Re: Debian 11, Chrome and .asp pages

On 8/28/22 09:47, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 09:13:43AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 8/28/22 08:27, Greg Wooledge wrote:
We would need to know THE ACTUAL URL the OP is trying to use, and THE
ACTUAL SYMPTOMS they are seeing.  That would be a minimal starting
point for trying to diagnose the situation.

Other supporting information would be things like "I tried in the
following web browsers _____, and this is what happened _____."  Or,
"I also tried from a Windows PC on the same internal network, using
the ______ web browser, and this is what happened _______."

Or, "My /etc/resolv.conf which is generated by the router's DHCP contains
this __________."  Or even, "My /etc/resolv.conf which is NOT generated
by DHCP, but instead is maintained by me, contains ________."

You know, a sensible sharing of information.
A quite reasonable request, however I'd sanitize any numerical addresses in
such
info before publishing it...
WHY?

What POSSIBLE reason is there to hide the internal IPv4 network address
that you're using?

Here's my /etc/resolv.conf WITHOUT HIDING ADDRESSES, because hiding that
information would be UTTERLY POINTLESS:

On that point I'll disagree, I don't use 127.anything here except for localhost. My real addresses are someplace in the 192.168,xx.yy range, which is 65,535 addresses wide. Let the black hats guess where if they can figure out how to get past that 192.168 block.

But your challenge did point out that I had forgotten to chattr -i my resolv.conf. So I added a "search $my.domain" above the nameserver address which is the address of my router. If my router
can't answer, the query gets fwd'd to my ISP's nameserver.

And I did note that an address I had in my /etc/hosts file because its been dns black holed by court order managed to get wiped at one or more points in my 20+ attempts to install bullseye, (however I found and recovered it from another machine on my local net) brought
on by the installer assuming you are blind if it finds a usb<->serial
convertor plugged in.  And my system normally has 2 of those plugged in. Did you ever try to run a computer when the speakers are yelling every keystroke at you? Most annoying.
unicorn:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search wooledge.org
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8

127.0.0.1 is of course loopback, so the first nameserver that's used is
my locally running caching resolver.

10.0.0.1 is the router's internal IP address (on ethernet), so the second
nameserver used is the router's mostly-forwarding builtin resolver.

The last-resort nameserver is Google's 8.8.8.8.

Why would you think that ANY of these addresses should be hidden?
Those addresses are public of course, but the internal address of anything here
on my property is absolutely none of the rest of this planets business.

The difference is /I/ control it. And it will stay that way.
   The
only results of hiding this information would be to make your email take
longer to write, and to make your problem harder to solve.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis