Re: Debian 11, Chrome and .asp pages

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 06:51:03AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Perhaps the 404 is coming in response to a subordinate resource (e.g.
> the Location: in a redirect or some other of the 3129 ways the Web
> has to play that game). That resource would depend on "the browser"
> in some general sense.
>
> Oh wait: does have the new installation a different /etc/hosts?
> Perhaps the OP has made an entry "back then" to get the router's
> cra^H^H^H Very Special GUI working? Something like that.

Isn't it fun, trying to diagnose problems in a nearly complete information
vacuum? :-(

Since all we can do is share guesses and anecdotes with each other, I'll
share one of mine.

Not too long ago, I had to buy a new router.  The one I bought was a
Netgear.  As is typical, the router also acts as a DHCP server, and
has a web-based control panel.  The instructions that came with the
router said to visit a certain URL (which I do not recall right now),
which did not contain an IP address, but instead, contained a "hostname".

If you're a completely naive user, who sets up the PC to use DHCP, using
every piece of information from the router (IP, netmask, nameserver,
DNS search domain), then this would work.  The special "hostname" in
the URL would be resolved by the router's internal mostly-forwarding
nameserver, to the router's IP address.

If, however, your PC is set up to use its *own* DNS nameserver and search
domain, then the special "hostname" in the router's URL is resolved by
the global DNS infrastructure, to a *real* IP address.

The real IP address in this case turns out to be a phishing site, set up
specifically to capture passwords and personal information from users who
are just trying to set up their router, which comes with *horribly* poor
instructions.

So, anyway... it is quite possible that the OP is not even talking to
their router, but instead to some external phishing site.

We would need to know THE ACTUAL URL the OP is trying to use, and THE
ACTUAL SYMPTOMS they are seeing.  That would be a minimal starting
point for trying to diagnose the situation.

Other supporting information would be things like "I tried in the
following web browsers _____, and this is what happened _____."  Or,
"I also tried from a Windows PC on the same internal network, using
the ______ web browser, and this is what happened _______."

Or, "My /etc/resolv.conf which is generated by the router's DHCP contains
this __________."  Or even, "My /etc/resolv.conf which is NOT generated
by DHCP, but instead is maintained by me, contains ________."

You know, a sensible sharing of information.