Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?

On 2/8/22 9:50 pm, Tim Woodall wrote:

This is a DNS & NTP server, so it needs a static address.  I'd also
like different firewall rules for different machines.. which also
requires static addresses for at least some machines.

Yes there is - see my earlier reply.

ip token set ::<hostportion>/64 dev eth0

(I think you might be able to do this after the interface has an IP and
it will then acquire an additional IP but I might be misremembering. I
use a pre-up command in e/n/i)

But SLAAC should normally give you a static address anyway, just tied to
your mac address (which maybe you don't want)

You can just run your network using auto-generated link-local addresses fe80::/64 and use IPv6 NAT on the firewall/router for external access.

You can also allocate individual machines (multiple) non-routed addresses from ranges such as

64:ff9b:1::/48
fc00::/7

These can be used for IPv6 NAT or IPv6 to IPv4

--
Jeremy