Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?

On 8/1/22, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 12:08:47PM -0400, Lee wrote:
>> I'd like for my Debian server to have a static IPv6 address.. same
>> as I have for IPv4.  But how to do that?
>>
>> I have a Netgate firewall that does a dhcp6 request for a /56 from
>> Verizon, then the firewall delegates a /64 to each internal subnet.
>
> If you know that the /64 that's going to be delegated is always the
> same then you can just statically choose an address within it in
> /etc/network/interfaces as normal.

I wouldn't bet on it staying the same.  The external IPv4 address will
stay the same for months at a time; I don't expect any different for
the IPv6 network

> If you can potentially get a different /56 or different /64
> delegated then you have no real choice but to use DHCPv6.

*sigh*

The dhcpv6 server on the netgate allows for static mappings like
  <duid>   ::1:10
where it fills in the network/64 portion from the delegation and uses
the ::a:b:c:d for the host address.  I was hoping for something like
that w/ Debian

> I don't know if static /56 is an option on fios. Although there is
> no technical reason to not allocate you a static /56,

Probably because it makes renumbering much harder.

> it is often
> used as a differentiator for a more costly service "because they
> can".

probably that

Thanks
Lee