Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022, Lee wrote:

On 8/2/22, Tim Woodall wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2022, Lee wrote:

Verizon FIOS finally rolled out IPv6 in my area.  yay!  I'd like for
my Debian server to have a static IPv6 address.. same as I have for
IPv4.  But how to do that?

I have a Netgate firewall that does a dhcp6 request for a /56 from
Verizon, then the firewall delegates a /64 to each internal subnet.

I haven't been able to figure out how to assign a static address when
the network part might [will] change.. so I've got everything using
managed addresses (ie. dhcp6).  So effectively the server has a static
address, but still.. I'd rather not depend on DHCPv6

Thoughts on how2?

Not sure I exactly understand what you want but you can specify the
local part of an SLAAC ipv6 address thus:

iface eth0 inet6 auto
         pre-up echo 64
/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/accept_ra_rt_info_max_plen
         pre-up ip token set ::0123:4567:a9ab:cdef/64 dev eth0

Yes!! That looks like what I want.
Where does it go if I want to always done at boot time?

I've got it in /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0

but whereever you've put the network configuration
/etc/network/interfaces perhaps?

(Your interface may well not be called eth0. I grabbed that from a
virtual machine)

Tim.