Re: user perms

gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:

> I just did all that, so now I have an /etc/rc.local but not an rc-local
> but he changes from rc.local to rc-local in the middle. confusing.
>
> So which is it. I originally created an rc.local, changed it to
> rc-local, and back with mv.

The script file is /etc/rc.local but the systemd service name is
rc-local.

> Now, I'm not aware of who heyu runs as, probably gene since I'm the
> one running it and there is no user heyu.
>
> Now, 2 new questions:
>
> So what do I put in this rc.local to allow me, gene, to use /dev/ttyUSB0,
> which has the cm11a on the other side of an fdti adaptor?

Since you seem to have the expected permissions for /dev/ttyUSB0 and
/dev/ttyUSB1 maybe you could just add gene and nut users to the dialout
group? adduser gene dialout and adduser nut dialout.

But if you really want to use rc.local then setting the group to nut
for the UPS line /dev/ttyUSB1 would work, so just

chgrp nut /dev/ttyUSB1

And then chgrp gene /dev/ttyUSB0

Hope it helps!