Re: user perms

On 6/14/22 13:25, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 13 Jun 2022 at 19:03:47 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
On 6/13/22 14:36, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 01:56:12PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:  >>
I appear as user 1000 seem to be stuck behind some sort of a >>
permissions wall. > > SHOW. US.

I got tired of fighting with it Greg, so I did install #32 and installed
gnome_desktop (that was new) and xfce4 during the install, and
now things including the screen colors are back to normal,

I've installed the brother printers and scanner drivers and I can modify t
them by the usual rules. I also set a root pw in addition to adding myself
to /etc/group in the appropriate places. I created an /sshnet tree with the
other 5 machines here, did a root chown -R me:me on that path and just now
mounted all of them as me, so I own the path to me on the other 5 machines.
"adding myself to /etc/group in the appropriate places" sounds just
like the sort of thing that might have caused /etc/passwd to become
screwed up in installation #31.

And my working environment is getting close to completed, something
that only been workable occasionally since that last Seagate 2T drive
went tits down in the night last Dec 8th.

Kmail5 is buggier than road kill in June, but t-bird is more like
August, so
I'm looking for a mailer that actually works. tbirds sort filters
don't, and
they think everybody uses only html, so word wrap doesn't work So I'm
doing this by hand..

So my only instant question is when will the developers understand that
stuff that runs as a $USER, needs one of two changes, either a .conf file
someplace readable by the $USER that tells things like t-bird, running as
the user, can have write privs to /var/log, /or/ an entry in that *.conf so
logging can be done instead of just gobbling up the denial w/o bothering
to tell the user it can't open the log. Its trivial to fix logrotate
to service
the logs in /home/$USER/logs where there's no perms problem because
the $USER owns the whole path.
No idea what this is all about, sorry.

Same perms story for heyu and nut,
but some somebody, thinking security as opposed to usability, insists
on building /dev/ttyUSB*, with 0600 perms. Neither nut, nor heyu can
get past that to get their job done. And IF I reset those two devices
to 0777,
re reboot fixes that.

I must have asked 15 or 20 times in the last decade, how to fix this in
permanently in /lib/udev, and have been ignored when I ask that for
several years. Usability, letting a computer actually DO its job simply
isn't on the menu. With a record like that, can you blame me for being
frustrated? Frustrated by asking for advice so I do do it right, and being
ignored.
The trouble with writing this is that people can look back.

There was a thread in May 2020 on this topic, where all your posts
have followups except for the two that sign out just like this one
does below; ie "Now I know how but my editing foo is burned out for
today", and "I'll see about it tomorrow, having used up my creative
juices on another project today".

In that thread, there is a working set of rules showing how udev
runs a script when a USB stick is inserted or removed, the scripts
themselves, and the data files that the scripts read¹. The scripts
have no problem performing mkdir and rmdir in the /media directory:

$ ls -ld /media
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 14 08:30 /media
$

[...]

You're a goddamned 20+ year Linux veteran.  You should be able to
handle something as ridiculously simple as this.
I just did,
As usual, we don't know what you actually did to handle it.

yes I did, but you snipped that part. How convenient...
So I write it again:
As soon as it rebooted from the install, and I had gained root,
I nano'd /etc/group and added me to group lp, so I could configure
my 2 printers.

The catted group listing today, from install #32, now has
me all over that file 12 times where the previous 31 installs only had me in
sudo.

Is that because I finally gave up and defined a root pw during the install?
In that event IMNSHO the installer is broken in 2 ways. In ways not apparently related to to the auto install of all the brltty and orca crap that drives a sighted person into screaming fits. It stalls the machine while it trying to
speak every keypress, fails because it hasn't learned how to speak English
and can't be turned off w/o destroying the uptime.

I've met your blind person. He is running OpenSCAD, the gfx composer
from that synth. I'd have to assume it speaks a lot better german than
it does English. I have to admire his determination,
he has a quadruple share of it to run OpenSCAD blind.

If that's not changeable, then it should advertise the diff, but it does not.
but haven't changed the perms of /dev/ttyUSB* yet.
Of course, the idea was that /you/ don't have to do that: udev should
do it when you boot up the machine or plug in the items. That's what
makes it permanent. And by reading their distinctive serial numbers,
FTDHG45D and FTOOS09N, it also prevents the names of the two devices
being swapped around by a race, or the order of insertion.
I've noted that that does seem to be stable now, but why does
it have to be owned by root:root, and 0600 perms? I have rather
diligently searched thru /lib/udev/rules.d without finding where or
how the perms are applied. And questions asking about it are snipped
and never replied to.  Why?????????
Only so
much time in one 24 hour day.  Up since 4:40 my time, by 20:00 I'm burned
out for the day.
¹
Is my answer as to how to fix this perms problem actually
contained in that post and I'm not reading between the lines
well enough to grok it?  Could happen you know...
Unlike the email posts, the web version doesn't show that
"usgs1g" (the mount point) is the contents of an attached file
called "2017-0403" (the USB stick's UUID), and likewise "cdrom3"
in file "KZ3E2DH0440" (the portable DVD Writer's serial number).
today, usb-devices does not show the most valuable info, it does
not show the mount point

Now, the weather has quieted, and I have a 1/4" square pcb to design and make for one of my cnc'd machines, on that same machine. I'm adding an air pressure controller
to the mister nozzles air supply.
Cheers,
David.

.