Re: debian-user message size limit

On Fri 17 Jun 2022, at 20:00, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 17 Jun 2022 at 16:24:54 +0100, Gareth Evans wrote:
>
>> Is there a limit for message size on debian-user?
>>
>> I can't find any such info on
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/

>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
>>
>> but a couple of recent large-ish messages (one ~270K with two
>> screenshots, one 70K with log output) have neither got through nor
>> bounced back.
>>
>> It would be helpful to know what it is if there is one.
>
> Don't expect Listmaster to rush here and tell us :),
>
> According to mutt, one of the mails you sent earlier today is 70K
> in size:
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/06/msg00586.html
>
> Do you hear anyone complaining? You did not. The bandwidth usage is
> low and time to download it is minuscule. The wheels are greased in
> -user.
>
> However, you cheated and put a log file inline. Naughty :). Good
> sense reigns in -user, however, so no one begrudges it.
>

> You know that attachments of ~270K and 70K do not get through.

For the record, I had thought the log excerpts in the 70K email were likely to be just about acceptable inline - there was no attempt to send a ~70K attachment.  Perhaps there should (or shouldn't) have been.  I would find it difficult to consider 70K "large".  With no guidance on the issues in eg monthly FAQ, this creates ambiguity and uncertainty.

There was quite a delay in both the 70K email and the message size limit question getting back to me, such that I thought both may have been dropped or held - first the former, hence the latter, and then still an unusually long wait.  But such is email sometimes.

The lack of dropped/held feedback [1] (if messages even are held) along with ambiguity around message/attachment sizes, makes it difficult to judge what to do and when, if anything.

Best wishes,
Gareth

[1] "Another known limitation in our mailing list software is that most rejected e-mails get silently dropped, so the user has no real indication on what went wrong."
https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/