Re: apt key handling needs to be properly documented--what to do?

Quoting Ross Boylan (2022-06-11 09:07:14)
> The apt-secure man page in Debian 11 notes that repository signing is
> a key part of the Debian security infrastructure. But key parts of it
> are not documented.  In my opinion that is a significant security
> problem, but the apt maintainers clearly do not share that view.
>
> apt-secure's man page says to use apt-key to manage repository keys,
> and provides no other information on how to manage them, not even
> mentioning /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/.  The apt-key manpage, on the other
> hand, says the program is deprecated and you should not use it.  But
> it provides no clue about what you should do instead, aside from
> referring you to apt-secure (!).  Nor does it seem to be documented in
> other man pages or /usr/share/doc/apt, or apt-doc.
>
> Bugs have been filed about this going back to 2020:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=968148 and
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=990521.  The
> maintainers have consistently minimized the problem, first of all by
> downgrading the priority of those bugs to minor, and second by
> offering a variety of sometimes inconsistent responses:
>    1. The priority is to get people to stop using apt-key.  Apparently
> this is not served by offering them any guidance about what they
> should do instead, but just by putting in deprecation warnings.  So
> the failure to document an alternative leads to people sticking with
> apt-key, and the fact they stick with apt-key is given as a reason to
> "deprioritize" giving them guidance.
>    2. There are obvious alternatives.  The fact that they are obvious
> to the maintainers doesn't help the rest of us.
>    3. The best alternative isn't obvious.  This seems a poor reason to
> leave people adrift.
>
> As noted in other parts of those bugs, and in other bugs, people
> continue to do the "wrong" thing, like trying to use keys in the wrong
> format (for that matter, add-apt-repository does that itself, as I
> recently discovered,
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1012649) or
> selecting wrong, or at least security-questionable, options, when they
> try to populate /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/.
>
> An additional problem is that stable is frozen, so that the bar for
> updates is higher (one of the reasons given for lack of action earlier
> was that a release freeze was in effect).
>
> The lack of documentation seems to me to merit both a higher priority
> and a faster response.  And the security concerns seem to me clear
> justification for an update to stable.
>
> Any suggestions about how to do that?
>
> I hasten to add, in anticipation of the inevitable "submit a patch",
> that the patch should come from someone who actually understands the
> security infrastructure.  Which is not me, because it's not documented.

Maybe you were looking for documentation like this:

https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/-/commit/4a012436ce6a07dd435dca33b7ee2c41ea94c844

Is anything missing from that addition to the documentation that you'd like to
add? Here is a version of the apt-key man page with better formatting:

https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/apt/apt-key.8.en.html#DEPRECATION

Thanks!

cheers, josch