Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Saturday, 11 June 2022 05:39:22 EDT gene heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 00:49:57 EDT David Wright wrote:

> > > Ctrl-alt-F1, F2 I think
> >
> > Keystrokes like these are appropriate both for a locally running
> > graphical installer, and for an installation running X (can't speak
> > for Wayland), but not for the combination of a text installer on a
> > target machine being controlled from a client running X. You can
> > run the installer and several shells on the target machine from
> > the client, without requiring any unusual interactions beyond what
> > you normally do when you run X.
> >
> > But I can't tell Gene the individual keystrokes and mouse movements
> > make, as he's using weird things like TDE, konsole, and kmail, that
> > I've never seen or used.
> >
> > > Part of this at least is why I suggested using text mode install
> > > directly on the machine if you could.
> >
> > AFAIK, there's no way of recording the screens if you use text mode
> > locally, rather than remotely. Hence the instructions I have been
> > posting. However, it's difficult to write those instructions for
> > someone to follow when it appears that they have forgotten how
> > to cut and paste text from a terminal screen into a file or an
> > editor's buffer, or think that you can cut and paste from a PNG.

That limit is very easy to see, there is no mouse in those remote text
screens to use to highlight what you might want to paste into nano and
keep. Or is there some other method I've forgotten since I did my first
install in late '98, on a 400 mhz k6 from the floppies in the red hat 5.0
book? A machine I built from parts. So is this one FWIW.

> > > Graphical expert mode would probably work as well and you could
> > > save
> > > the screenshots but I prefer completely text mode to be sure not to
> > > load problematic graphics.

What good are screenshots so big they can't be posted?

> [...]
> and grub is the ast thing installed, its probably too far into the
> drive and grub can't find its boot files.
>
> So I'm about to repartition the drive for a 12 or 13G /boot as a
> seperate partition and make a 27th attempt.
> Something like this from fdisk /dev/sdd, then p
> Command (m for help): p
> Disk /dev/sdd: 931.51 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
> Disk model: Samsung SSD 870
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: gpt
> Disk identifier: 9CEFADE5-AA85-4242-8630-5CA906D8DDB3
>
> Device         Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
> /dev/sdd1       2048   27351039   27348992    13G Linux filesystem
> /dev/sdd2   27351040  154478591  127127552  60.6G Linux swap
> /dev/sdd3  154478592 1953523711 1799045120 857.9G Linux filesystem
>
> Which ought to keep grub's stuff within reach. And it should stop it
> from using a slower swap file too, not that this current setup with
> 32G of dram uses much swap unless I screw up with OpenSCAD.
>
> And I'd better get to it, I'm running out of uptime since nut doesn't
> like no permissions to access /dev/ttyUSB1, and heyu doesn't like being
> locked out of /dev/ttyUSB0 for the same rediculous reason. Right now
> their cables are unplugged to prevent the automatic braile install w/o
> asking.
>
> And nobody can tell me, and grep can't find it, what udev rule sets the
> permissions on ttyUSB serial ports. Making heyu and nut members of
> group root SHOULD NOT BE REQUIRED. Nor should a root session be
> required to reset the perms on those 2 devices as part of a reboot
> setup, it takes me 20+ minutes even with scripts driving my network
> setup everytime I reboot. I'm short one machine that didn't survive a
> power glitch yesterday morning in this df report:
> Filesystem       1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% Mounted on
> udev              16360160         0   16360160   0% /dev
> tmpfs              3274336      1592    3272744   1% /run
> /dev/sda5        286294368  12318980  259359428   5% /
> tmpfs             16371672     17328   16354344   1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                 5120         4       5116   1% /run/lock
> /dev/sda1          1020896     61224     889632   7% /boot
> /dev/sda6         95534500   2280532   88354848   3% /var
> /dev/sda7         95541668       108   90642080   1% /tmp
> /dev/md0p1      1796382580 220867652 1484189952  13% /home
> tmpfs              3274332      3952    3270380   1% /run/user/1000
> gene@GO704:/      28704676  11867328   15356184  44% /sshnet/GO704
> pi@rpi4:/         61064956  21624400   36877792  37% /sshnet/rpi4
> gene@dddprint:/   99795040   5095124   89584372   6% /sshnet/dddprint
> gene@sixty40:/   235203512  15272432  207913672   7% /sshnet/sixty40
> But I'd better get to it. And find out if it will reboot to the new

Which, see my previous post, failed, it won't set the bootable flag. Does
anyone know why?

Thanks David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)