Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Fri 10 Jun 2022 at 08:44:22 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 07:53:20PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > So can we see the copy and paste of this first screen that you have
> > > a problem with?
> > yes, the list server for debian-user see's the attachment and apparently
> > sends the whole msg to /dev/null. Neither msg has come back in aound 6
> > hours.

> > > I recommend not doing that at all and going with the text mode over
> > > SSH, because you are never going to be able to get non-text
> > > attachments to this list and it just seems harder in general.
> > >
> > Thats what I thought I was doing, by opening a konsole on the client
> > machine, but when I saved the screenshot, it was a png. x was running on
> > the client machine, so there needs to be a method to make it text also.
> > The installer was started in expert text mode, but ssh apparently
> > overrides that somehow when it finds x running on the client.  Should I
> > have been running the client w/o x or wayland? I am not even sure how to
> > switch vt's away from x to whatever #2 or #3 is called.
> >
> Ctrl-alt-F1, F2 I think

Keystrokes like these are appropriate both for a locally running
graphical installer, and for an installation running X (can't speak
for Wayland), but not for the combination of a text installer on a
target machine being controlled from a client running X. You can
run the installer and several shells on the target machine from
the client, without requiring any unusual interactions beyond what
you normally do when you run X.

But I can't tell Gene the individual keystrokes and mouse movements to
make, as he's using weird things like TDE, konsole, and kmail, that
I've never seen or used.

> Part of this at least is why I suggested using text mode install directly
> on the machine if you could.

AFAIK, there's no way of recording the screens if you use text mode
locally, rather than remotely. Hence the instructions I have been
posting. However, it's difficult to write those instructions for
someone to follow when it appears that they have forgotten how
to cut and paste text from a terminal screen into a file or an
editor's buffer, or think that you can cut and paste from a PNG.

> Graphical expert mode would probably work as well and you could save the
> screenshots but I prefer completely text mode to be sure not to load
> problematic graphics.

But using screenshots then opens a debate on where they are stored,
why they disappear when posted here, how big they are, which software
to use to reduce their size, how to use pastebins (and whether people
will bother to look at them when not inline), and how to quote them.

As I've been installing Debian in text mode since the days when the
d-i's part 1 came on five floppies, I've never felt the need. I just
tried an 11.3 i386 netinst USB stick on an old Acer laptop, selected
graphical expert mode, and got a text screen. Memory limitation
(512MB) I suppose, or it doesn't like the graphics card (Radeon).

Cheers,
David.