Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Friday, 10 June 2022 08:23:26 EDT gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, 10 June 2022 02:45:20 EDT gene heskett wrote:

> > > Is that perhaps because you sent it? (One of the big complaints
> > > about
> > > some MUAs and some email providers.)
> >
> > The second one did come back so I assume it was seen but kmails
> > ability to find your own echo's in a mailing list folder are
> > definitly not its strong point. The scroll scrolls too far per
> > click, going right on by your posts echos. Pretty high torr rating
> > for that suckage. ;o(>>
> > >
> > > I don't recall seeing UUIDs in the d-i, perhaps because they're so
> > > long. I usually see the entries from /dev/disk/by-id/, or part
> > > thereof.

But thats not long enough to show whats beyond the samsung 870, their's
another alpha label that I'ds the tech in the drive, which in this case
would be positive ID of the correct drive, letters QVC, not EVO like the
earlier production raid drives which are all EVO's. This drive I am
trying to use for the next install, is plugged into the socket labeled
SATA6G_5 on this Z370-AII motherboard.  Is this a problem? IDK.

> > There weren't any, but dmesg from another shell allowed me to ID the
> > proper drive. So it now has a 1 partition install on it that won't
> > boot. boot flag is set. And me is puzzled. boot files too far into
> > the
> > drive maybe?
>
> Based on that theory, I may repartition that drive with a 4gig /boot
> and the rest as one big / one, I have run into that a few times
> before.

Welp, I did that, but the installer refuses to set the bootable flag on
that drive, it blinks the remote screen, but when its repainted, its
still off. I went thru the loop, even made a new gpt partition table, but
no joy. and all I have to show for it is a 5 megabyte plus jpeg from my
camera so you'll just have to take my word for it.

I've not had a problem setting the bootable flag before.  What might be
the reason?

And it took 3 passes to get rebooted to the old drive because something
happened to the raid but it apparently fixed itself. The bios, apparently
didn't see /dev/sda at all the first time, and it wasn't touched that I
know of.

Thanks all, David Wright in particular.

> > Thanks David.
> >
> > > But bear in mind that /dev/disk/ can be fully listed by the d-i
> > > from
> > > the very start, by switching to a shell on Alt-F2/3.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > David.
> > >
> > > .
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.