Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 02:59:43AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2022 00:31:55 EDT David Wright wrote:

> > > The only way I know how to do that is take a screen shot with my
> > > camera. But thats not possible when running the D-I cuz w/o gimp,
> > > its at least 5 megs bigger than the server will accept. BTDT.
> >
> > I don't see why you need a screenshot to post the name(s) of the
> > disk(s) in the partitioner menu. It's just one line per disk, like:
> >
> >    SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 500.1 GB ATA ST3500000AA
> >
> > taken from the listing posted in:
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/06/msg00055.html

> > > The one in the D-I.
> >
> > The d-i partitioner lists PARTLABELs, as the cited listing showed:
> >
> >   BIOS boot pa/BullBoot/Linux swap/Viva-A/Viva-B/Viva-Home
> >
> > But as your disk is new, I don't know what those PARTLABELs would be
> > set to. If you booted a bullseye installation to capture the dmesg
> > you quoted, then it might be simplest to partition the new disk at
> > that time. You get the most flexibility that way. (I always prefer
> > to partition my disks before I let the d-i loose on them.)

> > > Not to mention it would be TL,DR to most.
> >
> > It can hardly be /too/ long, as you claim that the speech synthesiser
> > starts yakking almost straightaway.
>
> That, with only the keyboard and mouse plus a small b/w laser printer
> plugged in, did not occur this time giving me hope it won't install that
> crap. There is now, perhaps driven by my troubles, a manu selection for
> that I purposely have not gone near.
>
> Are you saying that I can partition this new drive with gparted and make
> the d-i use that? That would be the holy grail if so. Question then:
> Since /home would be just a mount point for the raid10, how big does that
> partition actually have to be? Is a single 4096k inode big enough? I
> assume it will have to be big enough for it to contain /etc/skel.
>
> > Cheers,
> > David.
>
> Thanks David.
> > .

Partition the disk as all in one: that will set up points on LVM for all directories. Separately, tag the RAID as mounting at /home - job done. There won't
_be_ anything in /home until a user is set up and you've already told it
to use a preexisting /home.

Partitioning it with gparted will complicate matters: UEFI will set up the
ESP partition for itself anyway.

Andy Cater