Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Thursday, 9 June 2022 04:18:04 EDT Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 02:59:43AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> > > I don't see why you need a screenshot to post the name(s) of the
> > >
> > > disk(s) in the partitioner menu. It's just one line per disk, like:
> > >    SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 500.1 GB ATA ST3500000AA
> > >
> > > taken from the listing posted in:
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/06/msg00055.html

> > > The d-i partitioner lists PARTLABELs, as the cited listing showed:
> > >   BIOS boot pa/BullBoot/Linux swap/Viva-A/Viva-B/Viva-Home

Andy, What good is a "partlabel" when it does not tell me which drive by
the drives own readily found name as displayed by dmesg after a normal
boot? With this drive showing up as ata-5 in dmesg, but somehow udev
calls it /dev/sdb is confusing as can be. How the h--- does a drive
plugged into ata-5 on the mobo, get to be named sdb when there are 8
other drives in front of it, 4 of them on a different controller in the
discovery process?

I've zero guarantees that the d-i boot will detect THIS drive I want to
use, the same as it did for an 11-1 install which generates the dmesg I
am reading. The d-i shoots itself in the foot with excellent aim in this
regard.

> > > But as your disk is new, I don't know what those PARTLABELs would
> > > be
> > > set to. If you booted a bullseye installation to capture the dmesg
> > > you quoted, then it might be simplest to partition the new disk at
> > > that time. You get the most flexibility that way. (I always prefer
> > > to partition my disks before I let the d-i loose on them.)

> > > It can hardly be /too/ long, as you claim that the speech
> > > synthesiser
> > > starts yakking almost straightaway.
> >
> > That, with only the keyboard and mouse plus a small b/w laser printer
> > plugged in, did not occur this time giving me hope it won't install
> > that crap. There is now, perhaps driven by my troubles, a manu
> > selection for that I purposely have not gone near.
> >
> > Are you saying that I can partition this new drive with gparted and
> > make the d-i use that? That would be the holy grail if so. Question
> > then: Since /home would be just a mount point for the raid10, how
> > big does that partition actually have to be? Is a single 4096k inode
> > big enough? I assume it will have to be big enough for it to contain
> > /etc/skel.>
> > > Cheers,
> > > David.
> >
> > Thanks David.
> >
> > > .
>
> Partition the disk as all in one: that will set up points on LVM for
> all directories. Separately, tag the RAID as mounting at /home - job
> done. There won't _be_ anything in /home until a user is set up and
> you've already told it to use a preexisting /home.
>
> Partitioning it with gparted will complicate matters: UEFI will set up
> the ESP partition for itself anyway.
>
> Andy Cater
>
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>
> .
And the d-i will wind up doing a format on the raid10, destroying 6 month
work, I'll have to reinvent.  It did it unfailingly for many previous
installs, because if I removed brltty, it would not boot past not find it
in the reboot, which meant the only way I could reboot was to re-install
yet again.

To the d-i, my history is of no concern, do NOT forget that I've already
done 25 damned installs trying to save my work. I finally did figure out
how to silence orca, without destroying the ability to reboot, but the
uptime is 5 to 7 days. All because of seagates f-ing experiment with
helium filled shingled drives which failed well within a year because
they thought they could seal them well enough to keep the helium in them.

If in 1960, a bank of monel metal bottles with 2" thick walls, went from
7200 psi to 4800 psi because it leaks thru 2" of monel from midnight to
7:30 when the day shift clocked in. That leakage cost the laboratory I
was working for around $10,000 a day, we were validating the ullage tank
presuure regulators for the Atlas missles that probably gave John Glen
his first ride.

Now seagate thinks they can keep it in a teeny hard drive so they can
lower the flying height of the heads? The insanity in Oklahoma City knows
no bounds. And I am out of the spinning rust camp forever, SSD's are
faster AND far more dependable.

I now have around 6 months work stored on that all SSD raid, and I'll be
damned if I'll take a chance of losing it. But I'm convinced that I have
to do one more install, clean of brltty and orca, to get uptimes past 8
days. I have repeatedly asked how to get rid of it totally, several times
on this list and have yet to be advised of a way to remove it that
doesn't destroy the system, the dependency's removed cascade all the way
back to libc6. Tying a specialty function that deep into the OS that it
cannot be removed, only half-a--ed disabled and killing the uptime
because it leaves a wild write someplace slowly destroying the system is
inexcusable.

Thats bs, and I'm fresh out of patience.

There should be a procedure to fix this, but the procedure so far is to
ignore my requests for help in this matter. Only 6 months later, have 2
or 3 begun to understand and advise, and I'm gratefull, as I hope to be
able to complete an install on a fresh drive that both saves my work And
gets rid of the uptime limits of nominally a week. I am very carefully
not installing stuff to the system other than from the repo, but to my
own bin or AppImages directory on that raid10. With a suitably modified
personal $PATH.

As a detail that may be important, 60 gigs of swap is also on that
raid10. mobo full at 32Gigs. No swap used ATM, current uptime 1d16h29.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis