Re: had another crash, reboot usb failed, powerdown reboot usb failed

On Wed 01 Jun 2022 at 19:30:37 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 June 2022 16:34:01 EDT David Wright wrote:

> > > I've tried to do that David, several times. But the net installer
> > > just
> > > keeps looping back to that until I use it, which formats it.
> >
> > Because that statement is /so/ vague, I'll have to read /something/
> > into it. By "until I use it", do you mean that you have to use the
> > Partitioner Disks step, as seen here, before you can Install the
> > Base System?
> >
> yes, it will not proceed w/o it.
>
> > │  Detect disks                       │
> > │  Partition disks                    │
> > │  Install the base system            │

ISTR your having problems driving the partitioner back in 2015.
You need that partitioning step at the very least in order to indicate
on which partition to install the base system. But that doesn't mean
you have to format any of the partitions. That's why there's an option:
  "Format the partition:  no, keep existing data"

Obviously, it would complicate configuring a system if you actually
went ahead with installing the root filesystem onto a partition that
still contained a load of old files from some previous installation.

So I'd be interested to see the screen display at the point where you
tell it to "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk". That's
at the bottom of the screen that displays all the partitions, that
looks vaguely like this:

  ┌────────────────────────┤ [!!] Partition disks ├─────────────────────────┐
  │                                                                         │
  │ This is an overview of your currently configured partitions and mount   │
  │ points. Select a partition to modify its settings (file system, mount   │
  │ point, etc.), a free space to create partitions, or a device to         │
  │ initialize its partition table.                                         │
  │                                                                         │
  │  Configure iSCSI volumes                                            ↑   │
  │                                                                     ▒   │
  │  Encrypted volume (sda5_crypt) - 31.4 GB Linux device-mapper (cryp  ▒   │
  │  >     #1     31.4 GB    f  ext4                      /             ▒   │
  │  SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 500.1 GB ATA ST3500000AA                     ▒   │
  │  >             1.0 MB       FREE SPACE                              ▒   │
  │  >     #1      3.1 MB    K  biosgrub    BIOS boot pa                ▒   │
  │  >     #2    520.1 MB    F  ext2        BullBoot      /boot         ▒   │
  │  >     #3    524.3 MB       ext2        Linux swap                  ▒   │
  │  >     #4     31.5 GB       ext4        Viva-A                      ▒   │
  │  >     #5     31.5 GB    K  crypto      Viva-B        (sda5_crypt)  ▒   │
  │  >     #6    436.1 GB                   Viva-Home                   ▒   │
  │  >             7.7 kB       FREE SPACE                              ▒   │
  │  SCSI7 (0,0,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB Multiple Card Reader                  ▒   │
  │                                                                     ▒   │
  │  Undo changes to partitions                                         ▮   │
  │  Finish partitioning and write changes to disk                      ↓   │
  │                                                                         │
  │     <Go Back>                                                           │
  │                                                                         │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

In this particular instance, my real, encrypted /home on partition #6,
the unencrypted buster on #4, the random-encrypted swap almost filling
#3, and Grub's playground in #1 will all be left undisturbed by the
"write changes to disk" step. Only partition #2 (for unencrypted /boot)
and the encrypted filesystem inside partition #5 (for /) will be formatted.

At the end of the d-i, there will be a vestigial /home/me containing
three dotfiles in the root filesystem, and I will login as root to
set up the script that decrypts partition #6 and mounts it on /home,
"concealing" /home/me. Also there will be a swap configuration to add
to /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab.

The d-i doesn't have to know about any of this. It would be sensible
for you to treat your raid10 /home partition similarly.

Cheers,
David.