Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Thursday, 9 June 2022 00:31:55 EDT David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 07 Jun 2022 at 16:07:13 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:

> > The only way I know how to do that is take a screen shot with my
> > camera. But thats not possible when running the D-I cuz w/o gimp,
> > its at least 5 megs bigger than the server will accept. BTDT.
>
> I don't see why you need a screenshot to post the name(s) of the
> disk(s) in the partitioner menu. It's just one line per disk, like:
>
>    SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 500.1 GB ATA ST3500000AA
>
> taken from the listing posted in:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/06/msg00055.html

> > The one in the D-I.
>
> The d-i partitioner lists PARTLABELs, as the cited listing showed:
>
>   BIOS boot pa/BullBoot/Linux swap/Viva-A/Viva-B/Viva-Home
>
> But as your disk is new, I don't know what those PARTLABELs would be
> set to. If you booted a bullseye installation to capture the dmesg
> you quoted, then it might be simplest to partition the new disk at
> that time. You get the most flexibility that way. (I always prefer
> to partition my disks before I let the d-i loose on them.)

> > Not to mention it would be TL,DR to most.
>
> It can hardly be /too/ long, as you claim that the speech synthesiser
> starts yakking almost straightaway.

That, with only the keyboard and mouse plus a small b/w laser printer
plugged in, did not occur this time giving me hope it won't install that
crap. There is now, perhaps driven by my troubles, a manu selection for
that I purposely have not gone near.

Are you saying that I can partition this new drive with gparted and make
the d-i use that? That would be the holy grail if so. Question then:
Since /home would be just a mount point for the raid10, how big does that
partition actually have to be? Is a single 4096k inode big enough? I
assume it will have to be big enough for it to contain /etc/skel.

> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David.
> .