Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Tue 07 Jun 2022 at 16:24:02 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 15:16:16 EDT Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 02:17:08PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> > Fourth: Use the text mode expert install.
>
> I have so far, but powered off to bail out when I couldn't figure out
> what to do next. Before it wrote anything.

> > Document this step by step: write yourself a tasklist and tick off each
> > small step as it completes.
> >
> > As someone who has done, conservatively, 500 installs - many with the
> > text mode installer - it is not as hard as you seem to make it every
> > single time. But, without knowing at what step you fail and precisely
> > what you see when you do fail - what error messages, what it's telling
> > you and what steps you are thinking of taking BEFORE you take them,
> > I'm at a loss to know.
> The D-I needs to grow the capability to mount an otherwise unused drive,
> and store as png's, snapshots of the screen. That way no one can accuse
> me of copy/paste fibbing. I can also take screen shots but the list
> server, even if I could figure out how to get it out of the camera and
> submit them, would justifiably balk at the 5+ megs a pix that would be.

As you're using the advanced text d-i, it's very simple to take
screenshots that you can include in your posts. They will look very
much like the ones I post, because this is how I generate them.

When you get to this screen:

  ┌────────────────────┤ [?] Load installer components from CD ├────────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │ All components of the installer needed to complete the install will be loaded   │
  │ automatically and are not listed here. Some other (optional) installer          │
  │ components are shown below. They are probably not necessary, but may be         │
  │ interesting to some users.                                                      │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ Note that if you select a component that requires others, those components      │
  │ will also be loaded.                                                            │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ Installer components to load:                                                   │
  │                                                                                 │
    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …
  │    [ ] nbd-modules-4.9.0-7-686-di: Network Block Device modules              ▒  │
  │    [*] network-console: Continue installation remotely using SSH             ▒  │
  │    [ ] ntfs-modules-4.9.0-7-686-di: NTFS filesystem support                  ▒  │
    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …    … … …

  │                                                                                 │
  │     <Go Back>                                                    <Continue>     │
  │                                                                                 │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

select "network-console" as shown above.

When the network has been configured, select this option from
the main menu:

  Continue installation remotely using SSH

It will ask you to type (twice) a password, and then tell you how to
connect to the d-i from another machine:

  ┌────────────────┤ [!!] Continue installation remotely using SSH ├────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │                                    Start SSH                                    │
  │ To continue the installation, please use an SSH client to connect to the IP     │
  │ address 192.168.1.xxx fe80::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx and log in as the "installer"    │
  │ user. For example:                                                              │
  │                                                                                 │
  │    ssh installer@192.168.1.xxx                                                  │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ The fingerprint of this SSH server's host key is:                               │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                              │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ Please check this carefully against the fingerprint reported by your SSH client.│
  │                                                                                 │
  │                                  <Continue>                                     │
  │                                                                                 │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

which you do (from xterm on the computer with the most comfortable chair):

  ┌────────────────────────────┤ [!!] Configuring d-i ├─────────────────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │ This is the network console for the Debian installer. From here, you may        │
  │ start the Debian installer, or execute an interactive shell.                    │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ To return to this menu, you will need to log in again.                          │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ Network console option:                                                         │
  │                                                                                 │
  │                        Start installer                                          │
  │                        Start installer (expert mode)                            │
  │                        Start shell                                              │
  │                                                                                 │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

Select the middle option here, and then continue installing from
the main menu option:

  Set up users and passwords

>From your xterm, you can cut and paste text in the usual manner,
without any problems of image size. If you're used to using the Alt-F2
through F4 screens on the d-i, just login again from another xterm
and choose "Start shell". For an F4-like log, start a shell and type:

# tail -f /var/log/syslog

I always install my systems in this manner from my normal workstation.

PS, I wouldn't try to revert to using the d-i on the original
screen once you're running it remotely, except that you might
find it handy to leave the original screen showing the F4 log.

Cheers,
David.