Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Thursday, 9 June 2022 00:33:33 EDT David Wright wrote:
> [...]
> └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
> ────────────┘
>
> select "network-console" as shown above.
>
> When the network has been configured, select this option from
> the main menu:
>
>   Continue installation remotely using SSH
>
> It will ask you to type (twice) a password, and then tell you how to
> connect to the d-i from another machine:
>
>   ┌────────────────┤ [!!] Continue installation remotely using SSH
> ├────────────────┐ │
>                               │ │
> Start SSH                                    │ │ To continue the
> installation, please use an SSH client to connect to the IP     │ │
> address 192.168.1.xxx fe80::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx and log in as the
> "installer"    │ │ user. For example:
>                             │ │
>                                          │ │    ssh
> installer@192.168.1.xxx
>   │ │
>                │ │ The fingerprint of this SSH server's host key is:
>                             │ │
>                                          │ │
> SHA256:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>          │ │
>                       │ │ Please check this carefully against the
> fingerprint reported by your SSH client.│ │
>                                                      │ │
>                    <Continue>                                     │ │
>
>         │
> └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
> ────────────┘
>
> which you do (from xterm on the computer with the most comfortable
> chair):
>
>   ┌────────────────────────────┤ [!!] Configuring d-i
> ├─────────────────────────────┐ │
>                                            │ │ This is the network
> console for the Debian installer. From here, you may        │ │ start
> the Debian installer, or execute an interactive shell.
>    │ │
>                 │ │ To return to this menu, you will need to log in
> again.                          │ │
>                                              │ │ Network console
> option:                                                         │ │
>
>       │ │                        Start installer
>                    │ │                        Start installer (expert
> mode)                            │ │                        Start
> shell                                              │ │
>                                                                 │
> └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
> ────────────┘
>
> Select the middle option here, and then continue installing from
> the main menu option:
>
>   Set up users and passwords
>
> >From your xterm, you can cut and paste text in the usual manner,
>
> without any problems of image size. If you're used to using the Alt-F2
> through F4 screens on the d-i, just login again from another xterm
> and choose "Start shell". For an F4-like log, start a shell and type:
>
> # tail -f /var/log/syslog
>
> I always install my systems in this manner from my normal workstation.

This IS my normal workstation. But I imagine that I could reverse the
path from one of my Dells dedicated to a task. Only one has a comfy chair
though, the one normally running my biggest milling machine, out in the
garage. I'll take my coffee cup out and try this from there.

> PS, I wouldn't try to revert to using the d-i on the original
> screen once you're running it remotely, except that you might
> find it handy to leave the original screen showing the F4 log.
>
> Cheers,
> David.
>
> .
printed FFR, thanks David. I was not aware that all that was possible.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis