Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 02:17:08PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> But I've put another drive in, that I want to install a non efi system on
> too.
>

> Ideas as to how to proceed?

Hi Gene,

First: get yourself an iso with all the firmware on to start with.

Second: Disconnect all your FTDI and serial leads.

Third: Use UEFI - it makes sense at this point.

Fourth: Use the text mode expert install. When it comes to using your RAID,
single step through the partitioning. Use the partitioner's expert mode
to label the partition on your RAID as home and untick the format - that should
work.

Fifth: Uncheck any desktop environment in tasksel.

Sixth: After that point, and only at that point, install TDE

Seventh: Reinstate your serial leads one by one - and at that point,
sort out your issues with nut, printers and so on.

Document this step by step: write yourself a tasklist and tick off each
small step as it completes.

As someone who has done, conservatively, 500 installs - many with the text
mode installer - it is not as hard as you seem to make it every single time.
But, without knowing at what step you fail and precisely what you see when
you do fail - what error messages, what it's telling you and what steps
you are thinking of taking BEFORE you take them, I'm at a loss to know.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater